Wednesday, March 28, 2012

We're back!!!

Well after a VERY long break I've decided to try and start up my blog again. I will still write about "life, ideas, and other random bits..." so I'm keeping the title the same.

With my newly formed Pinterest obsession I decided my first new post should feature a DIY blog / Pinterest inspired "upcycle" project!

I have been searching for a buffet or bar type piece of furniture for my dining room for quite some time. My biggest priority was cost - I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a nice buffet. After scouring used sale sites such as craigslist and kijiji I decided I could build one myself. I found some very nice plans on this wonderful DIY project site, Ana White, Homemaker. But once priced out my husband still wasn't pleased with the cost we were looking at. So I resorted to scouring thrift stores to find a unit I could modify to fit what I was looking for.

Finally I found a suitable buffet that would work!




My plan was to strip off the old finish and refinish it with a darker stain. Unfortunately this finish proved to be very difficult to remove and the darker stain did not penetrate to the wood enough. Instead I lightly sanded the entire piece and painted it with some navy blue paint I had on hand. I am actually glad the stain did not work as my living room is already full of the wood look and the contrast of a painted item is great!




And my camera is currently not working, but here is a poor ipod photo of it with my current decorations... I am still looking for decorations that may fit this area better but made do with what I have for now!




In the future when I become a bit more ambitious I may consider taking out the center drawers and installing wine glass racks. Currently I am using the cabinets for Wine and Liquor, and drinking glasses; and the drawers for wine stoppers, openers etc...

I'm not sure where my next post will take me, but this is a start!

No comments: